Large format coating systems for flat, rigid substrates such as glass, thin film solar, smart window glass and metal sheet coatings in high volume or pilot scale production in the H-Line. Proven design platform globally installed used in coating glass and thin film solar on glass substrates is configured for each customer specific process and annual production capacity.
- Horizontal Load Locked Continuous In Line
- Load to Load Cycle Time: high speed 20 seconds
Optimized Coating Area
- Load size: 1350mm x 1350mm (2x 660mm x 1250mm)
- Gap between substrates in process area: 20mm +/-10mm
- Multiple substrate loading (piece load)
The Horizon in-line system is a high throughput continuous coating system designed for single or multiple layer coatings on rigid substrates. Based on the designs of large area architectural glass coaters, the Horizon can be configured with or without substrate carriers, and with processing from above or below. Substrate loads, as single or multiple pieces, are staged from atmosphere or other controlled environments to a high vacuum environment, transitioned to a continuous controlled processing line speed through the process section, and transitioned back to atmosphere in a discontinuous staged process. Pre and post process surface treatments, heating and/or cooling can be incorporated into the staged entry and exit sections. The standard design is for float glass substrates between 1.5mm and 4mm thick, but other materials and thicknesses can be accommodated upon request. Transport To achieve the highest uptimes the system is designed to minimize moving parts inside the vacuum chamber. The transport drive mechanism is external to vacuum, using a highly reliable vacuum feedthroughs for each required roller. Internal rollers use high temperature vacuum compatible dry bushings, and all lubricated bearings are outside vacuum. When applicable, features are available to minimize maintenance turnaround time and potential contamination from maintenance personnel.
Coating Method Options
- Rotatable or Planar cathodes
- Power - DC, Pulsed DC, MF/AC, RF & HIPIMS.
- PECVD / Plasma Pre-treatment
- Sputter orientation typically down without carriers. With optional sputter-up with carriers.
- Process uniformity +/- 3% (available option to +/- 1.5%)
- Substrate heating available to 300o C (optional to 450o C)
Typical System Dimensions
- Dependent on substrate size
- Chamber covers are removed with an overhead or gantry crane
- System is designed for placement on a flat floor (no trenching required) with a raised platform to one side in the process area.
- Drive belts external to vacuum for atmosphere maintenance.
- Two (2) gas selection per process section (up to four gases available)
- Uniform gas distribution along the length of cathodes. Adjustable length trim gas sections can be supplied based on layer uniformity requirement.
- Gas separation factor, if required, of >20:1 standard between layers using different gas mixtures.
- On-line (in-situ) transmission and/or sheet resistance available on request